Not everything gold glitters…

Not everything gold glitters... Not everything gold glitters...Not everything gold glitters...

I found this not-so-cute little piano bench at a second-hand store over the summer. I guess secretly, I do love the 1970ish golden crushed velvet material. I mean, I could get behind it as a style choice, if it wasn’t in such bad shape that is.

It was obviously in need of a rescue. I first took the seat off to start on the wooden base. Normally, at this point I do some heavy sanding, but all the varnish was pretty much worn off the bench; never-the-less, I used the palm sander to hit what was left of the coating. Afterwards, my daughter used a damp cloth to wipe off the dust and painted on two coats of flat black latex paint (Allowing time between coats to dry.).

After the paint was dry I used the sander to age. Ironically, I always take something old, make it look new and then distress to make old again. May seem like a silly little cycle, but the pieces always look so much better when finished. It’s always nice to preserve the antiques when you can, but some pieces are just old, not valuable or heirloom quality and they just need a makeover. Again, I wiped the bench free from dust and finished with a medium stain (chestnut).

Now, to the seat, some will remove all the fabric and discard, and that definitely should be done if the fabric is filthy or torn. This fabric was just old and had a few stains; so I left the fabric for extra padding (and to preserve some of it’s vintage-ness). First, I cut a piece of chevron fabric large enough to wrap around all four sides, ironed the fabric and laid the seat upside down on top of the fabric. I then pulled the fabric tight (but, not too tight) and used a staple gun to staple the fabric to the seat. I recommend going back and forth doing a few staples at a time on opposite sides until you complete those sides and then go back and forth with the other two sides. It keeps the fabric from bunching or wrinkling.

Lastly, I fastened the seat to the bench with new screws.

This bench is super cute. A nice partner for a piano, but it could also make for some funky extra seating, as I find it fits perfectly under a window or it would even be fun to pair with a vanity.

A great upcycle project!

[This item may be for sale on our Facebook page!]

Advertisements

A whimsical headboard turned into funky repurposed goodness…

A whimsical headboard turned into funky repurposed goodness...
A whimsical headboard turned into funky repurposed goodness...
A whimsical headboard turned into funky repurposed goodness...
I can’t express how fantabulous this bench is, lol. Me and my daughter finished it up this past Sunday. It has so many repurposed materials it just makes me happy! The back is a queen-size headboard (Don’t you just love it’s whimsy?), the seating is made from old pallets, old table extensions and old bed slats, and the legs were all cut from a vintage house column. I also used some spare indoor house trim around the base of the seating. I was going to paint it some awesome color, then decided I liked the white, yellow and brown hues and the aged chippy paint; they all just work together in a mismatched way.

This is a project I think everyone should try. A simple wooden frame was made with 2X4’s and 2 1/2″ wood screws and attached directly to the headboard. I added cross boards about every 2′ under the seating for extra support. I used a chop saw to cut the planks for the seating and a pneumatic nailer to attach them. I pretty much took an average measurement from seating around my house to figure out how high and deep I wanted the seat to be.

Reuse Repurpose Always! The headboard was purchased at a garage sale this summer, a friend from Texas salvaged the house column and besides the purchase of a box of screws and a 2X4, the rest of the materials were found scrap pieces from around my garage.

[This item may be for sale on our Facebook page!]

A great second use for a child’s first bed…

Repurpose an old Headboard into a Bench...I found this old headboard while doing the “yard-sale-thing” with my mom and sister, last summer; I’d always wanted to try and make one of these benches. So, this is what my daughter and I came up with.

First, we chipped off all the loose paint, sanded down the shiny spots and wiped the surface clean with some Windex.  (Windex or a grease cutter is always a good idea to make sure nothing sticky has been left behind from the previous owner.) Next, we took some scrap 1X2’s and nailed a ledge directly on to the headboard to attach our seat. To create the seat we used salvaged 2X4’s to make a box and the legs, used 1X6 inch refurbished cedar bed slats for the top and finished by tacking on some leftover house trim around the seat to give it some extra character. Lastly, we painted, let dry, sanded (for an aged look) and applied a light coat of stain, paying special attention to the areas we just sanded. And, there you have it!

Note: We used a nail gun for the trim, but used a drill and 1 1/2″ screws for the base in a #5 domino pattern; since this is being used as a seat, we wanted it to be stable and not shift.

Also, Notable: 1. I don’t paint everything this color; I’ve just been obsessed with turquoise the past two years. 2. Moms should think about repurposing their child’s old beds to keep them around. My daughter had a great 4-poster bed and if I had seen this back then I would of salvaged the bed. 3. I hope you all don’t get bored with me sharing projects, lol.

[This item may be for sale on our Facebook page!]