Refurbishing styles are as diverse as someone’s taste, so this project may not be to everyone’s liking. I’m only saying that because my finished project is heavily distressed and not everyone goes for that. Quite frankly, it’s even a little more roughed up than what I normally would do, but over all I think it turned out nice.
My daughter picked this vanity up at a garage sale recently, the price was right, but the piece was quite disgusting, covered in spills and gunk. It had the look of someone’s starting refurb project. It’s clearly been painted with drawers purposely left unpainted, it had mismatched and missing hardware and was missing a wheel. And, it looked like it had been someone’s garage grime catch all. Unfortunately, they did a big “no-no” on the ends. They had either tried to strip the veneer and lost interest or chipped off what was loose and left the rest, either way they ended up just painting over what was left… YUCK!
So, first off to fix the sides, I cut a piece of 1/4 inch MDF, it’s small enough to fit right over the ends without messing up the integrity of the vanity. I attached the fresh cut pieces to the sides with an air nailer, insetting the nails just a bit to fill with wood puddy. Then, I ran a palm-sander over the whole piece, wiped clean and followed with 2 coats of our homemade chalk paint. After the paint dried I used the sander again to heavily distress the entire vanity, then I used a damp cloth to wipe clean before sealing with paste wax. Lastly, I added some new whitewashed cast-iron drawer pulls.
I know, I know, what’s the point of refurbing just to beat it all up again… I guess it’s just what I like to do, lol. Honestly, I would of loved to see this in a bright color, turquoise of course, but I feel I’ve done so much of that lately. So, I decided to keep the color simple. Over all it has a heavy distressed look, but the sides have been repaired, the paint is fresh and white, the wheels are all attached and working and the pulls are all new.