A vanity updo…

A Vanity Updo...Refurbishing styles are as diverse as someone’s taste, so this project may not be to everyone’s liking. I’m only saying that because my finished project is heavily distressed and not everyone goes for that. Quite frankly, it’s even a little more roughed up than what I normally would do, but over all I think it turned out nice.

My daughter picked this vanity up at a garage sale recently, the price was right, but the piece was quite disgusting, covered in spills and gunk. It had the look of someone’s starting refurb project. It’s clearly been painted with drawers purposely left unpainted, it had mismatched and missing hardware and was missing a wheel. And, it looked like it had been someone’s garage grime catch all. Unfortunately, they did a big “no-no” on the ends. They had either tried to strip the veneer and lost interest or chipped off what was loose and left the rest, either way they ended up just painting over what was left… YUCK!

So, first off to fix the sides, I cut a piece of  1/4 inch MDF, it’s small enough to fit right over the ends without messing up the integrity of the vanity. I attached the fresh cut pieces to the sides with an air nailer, insetting the nails just a bit to fill with wood puddy. Then, I ran a palm-sander over the whole piece, wiped clean and followed with 2 coats of our homemade chalk paint. After the paint dried I used the sander again to heavily distress the entire vanity, then I used a damp cloth to wipe clean before sealing with paste wax. Lastly, I added some new whitewashed cast-iron drawer pulls.

I know, I know, what’s the point of refurbing just to beat it all up again… I guess it’s just what I like to do, lol.  Honestly, I would of loved to see this in a bright color, turquoise of course, but I feel I’ve done so much of that lately. So, I decided to keep the color simple. Over all it has a heavy distressed look, but the sides have been repaired, the paint is fresh and white, the wheels are all attached and working and the pulls are all new.

Advertisements

Refurbing ’round the clock…

Garage Sale Tabe After 2Garage Sale Table AfterGarage Sale Table BeforeTurning this old table into a faux clock is probably my most favorite refurb project of all time.

I picked this table up at a garage sale… It wasn’t in the best shape, as you can see in the before pictures, it had been the canvas to some kid’s crayon art and also had some water damage.

No worries, we scraped off all the yuck (and probably a little gum too) and used a hand-sander to remove what was left of the lacquer coating. Next, we used a cloth and some Windex to wipe the surface clean.

I painted the base black and top white with regular latex paint. The fun part was the lettering. To do this I enlisted my daughter and we went back to our grade school art memories, the old “pencil-rub” technique. First, we printed off the numbers and letters on plain copy paper (make sure to set the printer to fast/draft, no need to waste ink, also make sure to print in reverse so your letters won’t be backwards). Next, we aligned the copy paper and used painter’s tape to keep it in position. Then we used a dull pencil to scribble on the backs to rub the image off on to the painted surface. After we had transferred enough of the image for a guide we removed the copy paper and used a paint pen to trace and fill.

To finish this project we sanded the entire table, even going over the lettering to give the over all piece an aged look, wiped clean and applied a coat of stain. The stain added to the look, by bringing out the wood in the exposed areas and dulling the bright white to a more vintage cream color. Lastly, we added a coat of paste wax, ironically, to help preserve the intentional aging, lol.

The table came with 3 chairs, 2 were salvageable, so we painted them solid black and completed the same aging process as above.

[This item may be for sale on our Facebook page!]